I have spent the last few days talking of nothing other than what my husband Stephen & I should do about our shops being open right now. We have read article after article about how imperative social distancing is to flatten the curve here in Canada so we have made the extremely difficult decision that, after today, we are closing both The Paper Place and our other store, @curiosasociety, to the public and moving to online only for the time being.
We have truly agonized over this and I know people may have different reactions to this news but please know we did not make this decision lightly. We understand the long term financial risks that lay ahead for us (believe me, we did the spreadsheets!), but we have to follow our hearts and the health and safety of our team and community are more important.
Please know that our staff will be taken care of during this time and we are all looking forward to when things return to normal 🤞
We will keep everyone updated as things evolve!
Wishing health, happiness and love to everyone. It’s just for a while - we can do this ❤️
Job Title: Store Manager (1 year maternity leave contract, May 2020 - April 2021)
Reporting to: Owner
The Paper Place, located in the heart of Queen West’s Art & Design district, is an unique retail venture specializing in papers and stationery from around the world. Our small independently run shop has a devoted following of customers and is a go-to spot for designers, artists and stylists.
We are currently looking for a Store Manager with 3-5 years experience to fill a one year maternity leave contract position. Our ideal candidate has a passion for exceptional customer service, superior organizational and time management skills and a proven track record in meeting sales goals. They should be a confident salesperson and be able to share their best practices in order to onboard new employees. This candidate should also possess strong leadership skills and be able to assign duties to relevant employees in order to maintain the function of the store.
The successful applicant with be responsible for overseeing the day to day operation of the shop as described below:
- Recruit and hire new staff, ensure they receive the training necessary to perform their job responsibilities independently
- Responsible for annual performance reviews, as well as 3 month probationary reviews for new staff members, in addition to providing continuous feedback to associates by recognizing and rewarding successful performance and addressing performance-related problems
- Recognize needs in employees and provide additional training when necessary
- Produce the monthly schedule, making sure that there are adequate staff members scheduled for each day without overstaffing
- Provide support to sales associates during peak periods or when scheduling conflicts arise
- Ensure that other staff members are providing exceptional service to all customers through appropriate training and feedback
- Make sure that customers are acknowledged, customer needs are met, and concerns are resolved quickly
- Ensure that all phone messages and customer emails inquires are dealt with in a timely manner
- Deal with escalated customer complaints while enforcing return and exchange policies
- Prepare monthly sales targets
- Develop and implement strategies to drive store sales, meet monthly sales targets, increase profitability and prevent loss
- Ensure that online sales are being processed and shipped out in a timely fashion
- Liaise with The Japanese Paper Place, responsible for weekly order and additions, receive new paper and products samples and decide with the owner which ones to bring in
- Product management, including ordering, receiving, price changes, and handling damaged products and short shipment issues
- Maintain adequate levels of inventory to meet customer needs
- Ensure new samples are added to the product binders as soon as they arrive
- Supervise all pricing and signage activities throughout the store.
- Make sure new products are added to the website in a timely fashion
- In addition to owner, actively seek out new and interesting products for the store, with a focus on handmade or local goods
- Ensure that store displays are executed on a rotating basis and maintain visual standards of the store
- Ensure that windows displays are preplanned and changed on a seasonal basis (bi-monthly as a minimum goal)
- Responsible for organizing regular schedule of workshops, liaise with guest instructors, make sure the schedule is posted in store and online, newsletter is sent out to our email list and the registration system in set up and ready to go
- Deal with media and stylists looking for product donations and discounts
- Filter through advertising requests and bring appropriate ones to owner's attention
- Manage donation requests and work within a yearly budget to distribute donations amongst appropriate candidates
- Responsible for organizing total store maintenance & cleaning, including interior, exterior, equipment and grounds.
- Ensure bank deposits are made at least twice a week
- Ensure an adequate amount of change is available in the safe at all times
- 3 - 5 years of retail and retail management experience
- Demonstrated ability to train employees and be an effective salesperson
- Strong customer service, management and communication skills
Please submit your resume and a detailed cover letter to hiring(at)thepaperplace.ca.
Receiving & Product Co-ordinator
We are currently looking for a full time Receiving & Product Co-ordinator. Reporting directly to the Store Manager, this unique position within our small business offers the opportunity to engage in a variety of duties related to receiving merchandise and the ongoing development of our online shop.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
Receiving & Inventory
- Receives merchandise, checks & signs delivery slips, handles COD payments, assists with unloading as necessary
- Unpacks merchandise, verifies quantities & quality of items against supporting documents, accepts or returns merchandise according to established procedures, calculates pricing according to existing guidelines, affixes barcodes and price stickers
- Organizes the distribution of merchandise, new or previously out of stock products are put aside to be integrated into floor displays, also responsible for contacting customers with special orders or back in stock requests when products arrive
- Communicates with suppliers and courier companies in order to expedite or trace shipments and also to return merchandise that does not conform to specifications or purchase orders
- Organizes annual inventory, responsible for conducting intermittent stock checks, remedying any negative stock numbers in the POS system, ensures that supplier pricing is accurate in the POS at all times
- Packages and prices any unpackaged items prepared in store
- Updates online platform for buyer indicating suppliers with low stock and any customer special orders or product requests
- Creates seasonal and occasional promotions in both the retail POS system and online shop (Shopify)
- Maintains a clean and orderly work station, packing up recycling and garbage from received shipments promptly
Online Product Management
- Ensures that new products are added to online store when they arrive by creating product descriptions and adding photos, weights and supporting tags to the product record
- Uploads new items to the online shop and ensures that all information, including product categories, is accurate
- Enters invoices for received orders into Quickbooks
- Files invoices
- Liaises with suppliers in regards to backorders, short shipments, damages & credits
- Covers the sales floor as needed
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs unassisted
- Organized and self motivated with high standards of quality and efficiency
- Previous experience in a fast paced retail environment
Please submit a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and skills along with your resume to hiring(at)thepaperplace.ca
We are currently looking for a photographer to quote on some product photography for our website! We have a number of papers (40-60) to be photographed flat in their full sheet size (20x30”) and are looking for someone to quote on a per sheet basis. Please submit your quote and any links to your work to email@example.com :)
“How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?”
― Dr. Seuss
Great news, we will be open extended hours throughout December!
If you are planning to visit us, please note we will be closing early on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, along with being closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
Payment is required upon registration for all workshops to guarantee a space. You may register in person at the store or by phone, 416.703.0089. Withdrawal is allowed up to three days before the workshop, there are no refunds after that time.
We are beyond thrilled to be hosting Vancouver based artist Rachael Ashe for an evening of paper cutting exploration this April! Spots will fill up quickly for this unique opportunity!
Date: Wednesday, April 5th
Cost: $90 + $10 Materials fee
In this hands-on workshop Rachael will introduce students to the joys of creating intricate art through paper cutting. During the class participants will work on two small projects incorporating traditional techniques with a modern twist, and a focus on abstraction and pattern. The goal is to help students develop knife skills, discuss tools and materials, as well as inspire ideas for how to integrate paper cut elements into their own work.
Rachael Ashe is a self-taught multi-disciplinary artist working in paper cutting, installation, sculpture, and dabbling in textile art. She has a self-directed art practice centred on process driven work. Rachael believes in learning by doing and is constantly experimenting to push the boundaries of her abilities and potential as an artist.
Workshop Registration & Policies
Payment is required upon registration for all workshops to guarantee a space. You may register in person at the store or by phone (416.703.0089) with a credit card. Withdrawal allowed up to three days before the workshop, there are no refunds after that time. Please note we do not have washroom facilities in the store. Adult participants only please (unless specifically stated).
Our in store customers haven't been able to get enough of these gorgeous Thai Marbled Papers and we didn't want our online customers to miss out on all the fun! These versatile papers are available in a regular sheet and a textured momi paper as well!
Chiyogami is definitely our most popular paper!! Strong, beautiful and versatile, these papers are available in a seemingly endless selection of colours and patterns. It is easy to admire Chiyogami for it's beauty alone but what is even more impressive is understanding the time and craftsmanship that goes into making just a single sheet.
The base paper of each sheet of Chiyogami is made of a combination of kozo and sulphite. The kozo gives the paper it's characteristic strength and softness while the sulphite makes it possible to produce these papers at a reasonable cost.
To create a single sheet of Chiyogami, each base sheet is silkscreened with as many colours as there are in that particular pattern – in most cases, four or five colours. After the base sheet has been pasted to a wooden board for stability during the silkscreening process, the first screen silkscreen is registered and ink applied. Each sheet of paper is dried on racks to allow the ink to dry between applications. The screens for subsequent colours are painstakingly registered so that the colour layers lie precisely in relation to each other.
The following are samples showing each stage of this process. The last picture shows the result of this labour intensive process – an incredibly beautiful sheet of Chiyogami! With close to 700 patterns available, we are proud to carry one of the largest selections of this amazing paper available anywhere!